Essential oils have become extremely popular in the last few years, and it seems that the people that love them really love them. I have been reluctant to try them, I guess it just seems too good to be true that something can have as many benefits as essential oils are claimed to have. I connected with Kristi through Facebook and she offered to send me a sample of the doTerra Serenity blend and the following blog post. I have to say, reading it made me cautiously optimistic and eager to try this! Upon receiving the sample, I put a few drops on my wrist. Serenity has a unique scent, and while it didn’t immediately calm me, I wasn’t feeling particularly anxious at the time. It took a few stressful days for me to remember that I had this option in my self-care arsenal, and I repeated the process again after feeling extremely overwhelmed with the kiddos being home from school. I have to say, the scent was grounding, it gave me something to focus on and it was almost a meditative moment for me. I certainly can’t say that essential oils would work for everyone in this way, but I do think it’s important to have many options for self-care and Serenity may be a great addition.
Kristi is a wife and mom of 3. She is passionate about health and wellness, especially using holistic and natural methods as much as possible. She also loves making new friends, so feel free to connect.
As a mom of 3, I understand how hard it is to manage all the emotions of parenting. It’s easy to get overwhelmed by just the daily task of keeping the kids alive.
It’s hard to know what to do after you’ve had a baby and instead of feeling joy, you instead struggle with intense sadness. There are many ways to cope with these feelings, and one of them is essential oils.
I’ve been using essential oils for more almost 5 years now, and just recently started using them to manage all the negative emotions, frustration, anxious feelings, and stress that come with being a mom.
Essential oils are not a cure, but they do have properties that can help.
Here are my 5 favorite essential oils to use for post-partum emotions:
- Tangerine: By far one of my favorite oils, this one has a strong citrus scent, which immediately makes me feel happier. It’s also known for its ability to relieve stress and calm anxious feelings. I love using this in a diffuser, or diluting it in fractionated coconut oil and rolling it on the back of my neck.
- Balance: This is the grounding blend from DoTerra. It is known for helping people relax, feel less stress, and cope when you feel overwhelmed. I love how it settles me down and keeps me from yelling as much when the kids are being crazy.
- Serenity: Want a more restful sleep? I know that’s crazy talk when you’re a mom, especially of a new baby. But a few drops of this blend in the diffuser at night gives me more restful sleep (what little I do get). As a bonus it can help settle a restless baby.
- Lavender: This is such a simple and amazing oil. It can be used for almost anything from wound care to helping with sleep and anxious feeling. It has a calming effect. I like to mix several drops in a spray bottle with witch hazel, and use it as a pillow spray. You can also put this in a diffuser at bedtime or throughout the day calm your nerves.
- Ylang Ylang: Want a perfume that smells amazing and can boost your mood? Try this oil. Dilute a few drops in fractionated coconut oil, put on your wrists and smell throughout the day. I love the floral fragrance of this oil. I sometimes use it in conjunction with Tangerine for an additional happy boost and a unique smell, that brings me a little joy.
These are just a handful of the many amazing benefits of using essential oils to manage post-partum emotions. While not a cure for any illness or disease, they are a great tool to have in your arsenal.
If you want to learn more about essential oils, reach out to me on social media, or visit http://www.mydoterra.com/kristicrosson. You can find me on Facebook and Instagram. I’d love to help you on your journey!