Sausage and peppers has been one of my favorite dinners for a few years now, but I think my whole family is tired of eating it on sub rolls. This recipe changed up my usual sausage and peppers with tomatoes and tortellini! It was a nice change of pace, I usually make tortellini with an alfredo sauce, so this was different. I bought two bags of tortellini thinking one wouldn’t be enough for the five of us. Turns out I made enough, plus enough to give some to a few coworkers, and leftovers for three more, but it was so good, I don’t mind eating it a few days in a row!
It’s great for a cold winter night, and it’s pretty quick and easy too.
TORTELLINI WITH SAUSAGE AND PEPPERS
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
- 2 Italian sausages, sliced
- 2 bell peppers
- 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 dashes Italian seasoning
- 1 cup water
- 1 package tortellini
- Cook sausages for 7-10 minutes (or until browned all over) in a deep skillet on medium heat. Meanwhile, chop the peppers.
- Add the peppers to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and water. Scrape the bottom of the pan.
- Add the tortellini to the pan and stir until it’s mostly covered by the sauce. Cover the pan with the lid slightly ajar, and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- Remove lid and cook for another 5 minutes or until the sauce is thickened as desired. Serve immediately.